Saturday, July 4, 2015

Personal Story: Patty

Patty was guided by a psychiatrist to "recover repressed memories" in order to help her deal with trauma that was never repressed. Patty was hospitalized, medicated and told what she had said in a "blackout" during therapy. Then she wrote a letter confronting her father. She became aware that the memories were false when she talked with a friend who went to the same hospital and also was given repressed memories by the therapists doing the same abusive treatment to her. The "repressed memories", which were all false and never happened, robbed her of a year of her life.
       My name is Patty.  I started seeing a therapist in October of 1990 due to post traumatic stress syndrome -- caused by being raped three times by an ex-fiancĂ© -- in a period of two years. After a period of about nine to ten months, my therapist and my psychiatrist made the suggestion that I be hospitalized for a period of four weeks. From the time of admission on, everyone at the hospital seemed like zombies (mechanical robots). I had to wait until 10:30 p.m. to see my therapist. I was so tired of waiting for him that I didn’t want to see him at all. From then on, he would show up at various times of the day and I would see my psychiatrist every day -- usually during group sessions. 
       My ex-psychiatrist is the one who started putting the abuse issues into my mind. And then, it was my therapist -- sometimes in the consultation room at the hospital. With my written consent, my therapist and my psychiatrist arranged for me to undergo sodium amytal.  I had to write out 10 questions and submit copies to my therapist and my psychiatrist two days before I underwent it. The test revealed that I had been abused by my father. I only got to hear part of the tape before I was led to confront my father on the abuse charges. As far as I know, that tape is nowhere to be found -- it’s lost for good.
       Little did I know then that my dad never did abuse me. It almost split my parent’s marriage of 32 years apart and destroyed the close relationship that my dad and I had. I am presently seeing another therapist who has helped me face a lot of the issues. I did not realize that my memories were false ones until a few months ago when a friend of mine had the same problems with the hospital and her therapist as well.
     I am in the process of suing: the hospital, my ex-therapist, and my ex-psychiatrist for all of the damages they have done in my life. I am a "repressed memory"survivor and I hope and pray that my story will help others out there who were tricked into believing that they were abused by their fathers and also were abused by their therapists and psychiatrists as well.
Editor’s Comment: Many retractors were given misinformation about the accuracy of memories and about techniques used in their recovery. There is no "magic bullet" by which historically accurate memories may be recalled. For further reading on the use of "truth serum":
Piper, Jr. A (1993) "Truth Serum" and "recovered memories" of sexual abuse: A review of the evidence. Journal of Psychiatry and Law, 21, 447-471.
This case was obtained from (3/19/16):
http://www.fmsfonline.org/?qmemories=RetractorsOwnStories#feb95
Pseudonym assigned to personalize reading.


NOTE: This retraction is a rare example of integrity and courage. Many live with the false memories their entire lives and rob their children of grandparents, cousins, aunts and uncles. Losing contact at a time when the children most benefit from the contact.
======================================================================
========================================
WARNING
  If you are seeking help for personal struggles and a therapist, counselor or friend says that "recovering childhood memories can help you get better" then IMMEDIATELY get up from your chair (or off the couch), run to the door, open it and flee. Hundreds of thousands have lost families, years of productive living and squandered immense wealth with tragedy inducing therapy that produces horrid false memories, splinters families, isolates the client and is documented to cause decline in mental health.
================================================

ALL Pictures are of life before false memories were recovered.
Happy with our hike overlooking Phoenix













Grace and I while visiting family in New England
OUR DAUGHTER BEFORE TREATMENT
A SAD STORY OF HARMFUL THERAPY




No comments:

Post a Comment